A brief history
Sadly we have been heavily affected by the Covid-19 outbreak so our planned Centenary Celebrations were somewhat curtailed. We will look at suitable celebrations when the time is right. Even if its just a 2020+1…
The Cottingham Memorial Club was founded in 1920 as a facility for ex-servicemen after the end of the First World War. It was first located in King Street, Cottingham (near the Duke of Cumberland Public House). It moved to its current location, Elm Tree House in 1950. The membership open to both men and women, currently has around 800+ Members.
Ambrose Good was a founding member and first Chairman.
The original building and interior at King Street, Cottingham (Photographs provided by the late Bas Berry).
The opening of the new Club, Elm Street House on 24th May 1950 (Photo taken by the late Francis Dewing, father of John Dewing and the grandfather of Martin J G Stroud).
Elm Tree House c1960s.
The interior of Elm Tree House c1960s.
Old Club Handbooks c1960 onwards.
Photograph & Article from Cottingham Leader – Steve Davis, World Snooker Champion visits for a spot of practice (Feb 1990)
Elm Tree House c1920s
Elm Tree House c2010 onwards…
General Management Committee 1992-93 (Back Row Left to Right – Bas Berry (Assistant Secretary), Brian Dunling, Sam Lusby, Trevor Good, Steve Lloyd, Ted Broom, Keith Pearson, John Andrews, Gordon Ransom (Treasurer), Front Row L to R – Malcolm Stroud (Vice Chairman), John Stimpson (Chairman), Ray Brown (Secretary), John Fenny (President).
Social Presentation Night c1980s – (L to R – Bernard Kirkham (Steward), Bill Lowther, Bob Sinclair, Keith Pearson, Don Blakey (Chairman), David Ryley, Mike Steely, Gordon Robertson (Secretary).
Social Presentation Night c1980s – (L to R – Brian O’Connell, Jack Ryley, Bill Lowther, Keith Pearson, Bernard Broddle, Don Blakey).